Cheddar Dill Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits
Delicious – served with White Chili and all were gobbled up quickly. With 9 people I should have made 1.5 or twice the recipe instead of a single recipe.
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
2 oz coarsely grated extra-sharp Cheddar (3/4 cup)
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
3/4 cup whole-milk plain yogurt (Greek-style preferred)
1/3 cup whole milk or 2% milk
1. Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Pulse flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a food processor until combined. Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Add Cheddar and dill and pulse until just combined.
4. Whisk together yogurt and milk, then add to food processor and pulse until dough just comes together.
5. Spoon 12 (1/4-cup) mounds of dough about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased large baking sheet and bake until puffed and pale golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Adapted from Gourmet, April 2005