Poblano Peppers in Tomato Sauce
Delicious with guacamole, fresh salsa, sour cream, fresh corn tortillas and sopas.
Box of Pomi tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic crushed
Juice of one lime
½ teaspoon of Epazote (on top shelf of spice cabinet behind things)
½ teaspoon of Mexican oregano (or regular if we don’t have any)
Cilantro leaves, rinsed and chopped from about 15 stems
½ onion chopped
1. Turn oven onto Broil (both on the temp and the bake setting)
2. Place all ingredients but peppers in a sauce pan and leave on low
3. Roast peppers until lightly charred on all sides. Flip using tongs after blackened.
4. Place peppers in plastic grocery bag when you remove them from the oven. Let them sit for at least 20 minutes. The steam helps the skin come off
5. Remove skins and seeds from inside peppers.
6. Place peppers in tomato sauce and leave to simmer. Add salt to taste.
Note: For a twist, throw in 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips during step 2