A delicious side dish to serve with meat, particularly pork or roasted chicken.
3/4c chopped dried figs
4 1/2c water
1/2c white wine
1/4c light brown sugar
2c polenta (quick, not instant)
1/2c grated Parm cheese
1/4c chopped scallions
salt and pepper to taste
3/4c fresh ricotta cheese
1T fresh rosemary, minced
salt to taste
- Butter 8×8 baking dish.
- Place dried figs, water, wine, sugar in a heavy sauce pan and bring to boil for about 5 minutes until figs have softened.
- Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add milk and stir ( you will likely have to switch to a spoon).
- Mix in butter, cheese, salt, pepper and scallions.
- Cook until polenta begins to pull away from side of pan.
- Pour polenta into baking dish and smooth top. This can be made ahead and then refrigerated until meal time.
- Combine ricotta cheese, rosemary and salt in a separate bowl (or a food processor if the rosemary is not well chopped).
- Heat polenta in oven at 350. When serving put a dollop of ricotta cheese to top.