I have loved these bars since childhood. My favorite babysitter, June, would make these for special occasions. I kept the index card with her recipe on it for many years until my travels ended my paper-based recipes, but I still think of her every time I make them.
Makes 12 squares (although I could hardly say that is for 12 people, since some have been known to sneak out with extras in their pockets!)
1 stick butter, melted
8 Graham crackers, crushed or run in the food processor
12 ounces of chocolate chips
1 1/2 c chopped walnuts or pecans
1/2 bag of shredded coconut
1 can condensed milk.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour melted butter into 9 x 13 pan.
3. Cover butter with graham cracker crumbs spreading evenly.
4. Add chocolate chips, nuts and coconut spread evenly.
5. Pour condensed milk all over bars making criss-crossed patterns to ensure covering the entire pan. Make sure not to forget the edges.
6. Bake until golden brown on top 20-30 minutes.