Serves 12-15 as appetizer
These meatballs have become a stand-by among my friends. Invitations to a party have included a request for me to bring these along to the meal on more than one occasion.
1/3 cup minced onion
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
1T fresh mint, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
a pinch cinnamon
1 pound ground lamb
1 cup fine fresh bread crumbs or panko
1 large egg, beaten lightly
2 tablespoons dried currants (or raisins, finely chopped)
Minted Yogurt Sauce
1 1/2c yogurt (Greek-style is preferred)
1/4c chopped mint
1 cucumber, remove peel
1 1/2t lemon zest
Salt to taste
1. Strain yogurt for about 30 minutes to remove extra liquid.
2. Peel cucumber and then use peeler to create thin slices of cucumber. Peel until seeds are reached. Chop cucumber finely.
3. Combine all yogurt ingredients together.
4. Preheat over to 400 degrees.
5. Mix all meatball ingredients thoroughly. Roll each meatball about 1 inch in diameter.
6. Bake for 15 minutes until outside of meatballs is browned and inside of meatball is cooked.
Notes: Yogurt sauce is much better if made 1 day ahead. Meatball mixture can also be made ahead of time.